Mountain Province - Sagada


After my successful visit in Buscalan, the group went to the next destination. Everyone was very excited for the cold weather, cultural activities and sumptuous food. The place is known to be the best kept secret of the North, SAGADA. 

Became an attraction to many tourists due to its cold weather. It also became haven for those who wish to spend time solemnly, "me time", and those who wanted to move on from something as said by many. 

While traversing the road up to the town of Sagada, the view was really breathtaking. You will definitely wish you had this view in the city. 

Here's what I got in Sagada. 

Sagada Pottery


First stop was in Sagada pottery. It took 2.5 hours to reach the place from Buscalan, Kalinga. The organizer gathered the tourists who wish to learn how to do an earthen pot. A demonstration that cost 200 Php for evey 5 persons. Additional P100 if you want to do it yourself, but with their guidance of course. I did not hesitate to join. Siegrid, the cool lady potter demonstrated the pot making. She also narrated the history of the place, how it started and how it continue nowadays. 


Machine used for Pot making. 

I volunteered doing a simple bowl. Somebody took a video and picture for me but haven't been in touch with them yet to ask for a soft copy. I successfully molded my own bowl. It was a nice experience. The Clay was somehow different from the ones in Ilocos. It is much easier to mold I would say. After molding the bowl, Siegreid said that I will just pay the shipping fee and they will ship it all the way to Manila. After molding, they need to process the bowl in an oven and have it dried up for few days and let it solidify before using it commercially. 



The road in front of Sagada Pottery

It was 10:00 am when we arrived here, there was a cool breeze that welcome us. I am loving the weather at that time wishing we have this in the city. We only stayed for 1 hour, the organizer told everyone that our time is up and will need to leave for early lunch. A Yoghurt vendor came and sorted her delicacies on a table outside the pottery. I bought one Yoghurt, It was soo creamy. I told myself that I will not miss the Yoghurt of Sagada and will have more of it. 







 

After taking our early lunch in a restaurant, we went to the accommodation. It is located in the town proper itself. The organizer gathered everyone and had to deliver a very important message to all. A local guide explained that due to a cultural lockdown, Hanging Coffins and Sumaguing Cave will be close until further notice. Everyone was saddened about it. But the local guide told us that we can take another cave instead of Sumaguing, The Balangagan cave which he said to be easier and more historical than Sumaguing. This does prove that people in Sagada still honor their old cultures and traditions up to now. We were only given 45 minutes to rest and prepare for a Trek in Blue Soil. 

Trail to Blue Soil

Everyone was called to go down the lobby, the shuttle, a Jeepney was waiting outside to bring us to the Sagada Blue Mountain Cabins. It took less than 10 minutes to get there. Everyone was given a stick that will serve as a trekking pole. The view on the trail was really spectacular. I really did enjoy what nature has for me here in Sagada. 

Stick I used as my 3rd foot.


A kind of Pitcher Plant


During a short rest, the local guides shown us a Plant of a weird shape, they said that it's a kind of a Pitcher Plant. Most of the tourists that are familiar with it use this Pitcher Plant to wet their mouth when they ran out of water. 

After the short break, the trail became moderately ascending. You can stop if you wish to, this does not require speed. While on a quick stop, We heard a sound of a water, I asked the guide if there is a waterfall near us. The guide said that the sound we are hearing is not from a Waterfalls or the likes, but the leaves of the Pine trees blown by the wind. It was really a cool wind up there. 


Soil is starting to turn blue.

After 20 minutes of walking, I noticed that the soil we are walking starting to turn blue, it's an indication that we are nearing the Blue Soil Hill. And yes, finally, we reached the Blue Soil hill and it's about to rain. 

a Rock formation along the trail




We started to take pictures in the Blue Soil, everyone marked their own place to pose and make memories with. It started to rain; I went to side to get shelter with the street food vendor. They were selling fish balls, dynamite, Halo Halo etc... I bought Halo Halo and Fish balls while resting and waiting for the rain to stop. 

Shortly, the rain stopped, everyone was gathered, and guides told us the reason why the soil is in pale blue in color. The land has copper contents and were even near a Copper mining area. They said the place was very very wide and eventually got smaller due to some changes and that of the copper mine. 

We went down and head back to our jeepney. The next destination is the Balangagan cave. This will definitely be the first time that I will do spelunking in the cave. 



Halo Halo in Blue Soil Hill


Kaman Utek "Like Brain" in english translation


Signage of the 2 Sagada's famous caves

Trek down to the cave entrance



The mouth of Balangagan Cave

And yes, the moment of truth is here. We will explore the dark cave for the next 2.5 hours. Guides asked the tourists with poor eye vision to lead the group first and the rest will follow. Entering the cave was too challenging, rocks are slippery because of the water source flowing inside the cave. It's an indication that the cave is alive and active. The guides are carrying 3 big lights to light our way to the very heart of the cave. I took off my trekking sandals, its not doing any good, I was slipping on the rock. It was a hard part for me but managed to get through it with the help of the guide. The 3 guides are blood relatives. The other one is the son if the old man who's been helping me since I set foot in the cave. Thank God they were there.  After the slippery rocks, we were on a flat part which has a dark soil. I put on my sandals again. Next to it are big rocks that we have to climb. I told myself that this is much harder this time. Guides were pulling me, one of them mistakenly grabbed me in my right arm which was newly tattooed. It was really really painful. 



A group of Stalactites

As we move into the heart of the cave, I was really really amazed of the rock formations. The Stalactites formed from the water drops from the ceiling, Stalagmites are the opposite and when the 2 meet, it became columns. It'll take millions of years to form them. It only grows 1mm every year. Looking at these wonders, it'll definitely tell you how old the place is. 

There were lots of rock formations and when your imagination works, you can create images from them. The trail is getting harder and harder, there was a very small passage between 2 boulders of rocks and a minor rock climbing that awaits. They said this is the second level of the cave. 


Stalactites, Stalagmites and Columns


We came to an end point of the cave, guides lit up a rock and it has a resemblance of a woman in white standing. After being amazed by the rock formations, we were asked to climb a wall of rocks, it was very slippery, but I managed to get through it with the help of JP and the 2 other guides. Thank God they were really there. The second level I would say is really difficult, rocks are even bigger, and passages are too narrow. 

The King's curtain.


As we move to the last level of the cave, trail is becoming more difficult. There was this narrow passage between two boulders of rocks and another wall that requires rappelling. It was really challenging but I told myself that I just need to endure all this and look forward to more view and history and  exit the cave. 

We have finally reached the last portion of the cave, there were 10 wooden coffins made out of a tree log. They said that these coffins are from the 1800s and that these are far older from those in the Hanging Coffins. 




A coffin from the 1800s




At last the exit to the cave is front of us. We trek to the top where our vehicles are waiting. We went back to the accommodation to freshen up. Me and JP decided to have a walk and meet the people who took the van. Unfortunately, they dropped us a line and that they are in Salt and Pepper already. Along the way there was a souvenir shop, I bought ref magnets, shirts for me and my nephew and some Sagada delicacies. 

At Salt and Pepper, my feet are really really aching, same pain I feel in my hips. I ordered their best seller Etag Sisig and the house Yoghurt. Both are delicious. 

After dinner, we went back to the hotel and washed up. JP and Ferdie went down with the others to drink. I don't know what time they went back in our room.

A blue morning sky in Marlboro Hills

Sunrise at Marlboro Hills

3:30 am was our assembly time. Time to see the Sea of Clouds at the Marlboro Hills. There were some who decided not to join and just continue with their sleep. It was very cold outside, the jump off is 30 minutes away from the accommodation place. 

At the Marlboro Hills, a colorful morning sky welcomed us. Around 5:00 am, the place started to get light. 5:15 am, the sun appeared and much colorful sky was drawn above us. The view was really breath taking. In my mind, I wish I can see this daily. 

Sea of Clouds 






Along Sagada's Main road

Trail to the Hanging Coffins

After resting, everyone was called to assemble at St Mary's Church and those who did join the sunrise view were asked to assemble outside the accommodation also. Everyone meet at the facade of St Mary's church which is the starting point of the trail. Along the trail is the Modern day cemetery. There was a cell site tower and graves from those who died pre and post the first and second world war. 

We walked to the edge of the cemetery down to the Echo Valley. Tourists are no longer allowed to shout due to some odd reasons. Respect for those living in the place that cannot be seen by ordinary eyes. A stairway down to the valley is awaiting. In my mind I was imagining myself on our way back here. It's all ascent. Its faster going down but going up is a big challenge for me considering my shape.

A baseball field along the trail




A rock formation along the trail


The Hanging Coffins of Sagada

At last, after walking down a long stairway, we arrived at the view deck. There were 19 coffins hanging on the wall. Our guides allowed us to take pictures and gathered us under a big tree after. They narrated the history of the place and how the people of Sagada bury a corpse according to their culture. 

The highlight of the history is you can only be buried in this way if you are considered as Sagada's "Elders". A person is considered as "Elders" if they have completed a life cycle of a true blooded Sagada town folks. A person should get married, have at least a child. Their Offspring should get married and have their own family too. That's the life cycle of an Elder in Sagada. 

After the narration of the history of the place, the group decided to go back and this is it. Another trekking begins. This time, I walked sidewards to avoid that grasping of air scene and the hard time in breathing. It was a successful ascent for me, there were railings along the stairways that I used since I walked sidewards. I was really amazed with Kordapya, she was wearing a Slip on half shoes with 3 inches heels and managed to trek. Amazing sporty girl.

We arrived at the accommodation 9:00 am and we're only given 30 minutes to pack up. 
I took a bath and pack my things. The newly found friends decided to take a group pictures at the lobby. Each one is unique in our own ways. 


A wall for rock climbing



The Modern day cemetery



View deck at the Inverted House

We left Sagada 9:30 am and went straight to the Inverted House to have a Brunch. It was 10am already.  Food here is quite expensive and will take time to serve as mentioned by Jel, our coordinator. She said to order first before taking pictures to save time. And Yes, Indeed, it took 20 minutes for them to ser.y my order. I ordered breakfast meal, Fish, hotdog and fried brown rice and of course, Yoghurt. I bought Etag and Tableas.

After the Brunch, we went back to our vehicle and went straight to Baguio. 

Etag


Overlooking at the Inverted House

Hot Chocolate


Side Dish

Yoghurt


Silog Meal

Fron of the Inverted House

View from the Second Highest Pointe


View Deck if Second Highest Pointe

While traversing the road going to Baguio, we had another stop over for those who wish to go the restroom. Its the Second Highest Pointe of the Philippine Highway System. It used to the Highest but was given to the Highest one which was recently developed in Ifugao Province. 


I just went to the restroom and bought a ref magnet. 


Atok Municipal Hall

Looking at my Baguio Trip Blog way back in March, there was a part there that we missed to go down to the Northern Blossom.
We were in an area waited for a bus going back to Atok. All those memories went back and in my mind I was laughing, I was just here exactly 2 months ago. 

After 2 more hours, we reached La Trinidad and had our early dinner at the Strawberry Farm. Lourdes and I ordered Kare Kare along with Dyan and her companion. forgot her name. The serving was really big and for a consumption of 5 people. I just asked the waiter to wrap it for take out. 

I bought Strawberries and  Ref Magnets again. It started to rain by 4pm and we decided to go inside the van. It was a foggy afternoon while heading to Baguio. I don't remember what comes next, I woke up and we were in La Union. We stopped by a Gas station for those who wish to go the restroom. I bought 2 sets of Tupig for my Pasalubong. The next stop we had was a Guiguinto, Bulacan to drop our Organizer Jel. And The rest went on the express way and we were dropped at MOA. It was a tiring 4 days of travelling but was satisfied with what I have learned, discovered in the places we were and of course to myself. I was able to do things which I thought to be unimaginable before. 

All in all, my heart was overwhelmed. I have accomplished my mission and learned a lot from myself and the places. The cultural lockdown was somehow a blessing in disguise, if it weren't we won't  be able to explore another cave attraction in Sagada. By the looks of it, it is more rich in history and culture compare to Sumaguing which was explored by Many. 

I think the tourism of Sagada should facilitate tourists depending on their assessment with Body Stamina. Sumaguing was tool difficult and should allow guests to choose which cave should they explore according to the level of difficulties and their Body Stamina.

If you want to visit and discover the best kept secret of the north, Add Sagada on your bucket list and tick it on its coldest season.  

Comments

  1. I miss the serenity of this place.It is truly relaxing here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Pinatubo - Capas, Tarlac